As the seat of the diocese, Saginaw was once home to many impressive Catholic churches. With the passage of time, none of their sanctuaries have been preserved as they were prior to the council. In this article, we will look at several Saginaw parishes and compare their past selves to what remains.
St. Andrew
St. Andrew parish was founded in 1852, and was the oldest parish in the diocese, second only to St. Joseph in Bay City. The current church was consecrated on May 13th, 1913. St. Andrew's is well known for its imposing steeple, which can be seen from across town. The interior of St. Andrews was one of the most elaborate in the city, featuring gothic altars, a matching pulpit, a communion rail, massive statues, and detailed murals.
This church is interesting due to the fact that it underwent a post-conciliar renovation, but the three altars were retained fully intact (except that St. Joseph and the angels have vanished) without modification. While the altars survived, the liturgical layout of the sanctuary unfortunately did not. Pictured below is an altar arrangement that might seem bizarre to readers today, but was somewhat common during the years of Bishop Untener's episcopate. The altar and ambo are equal distances apart, likely to emphasize the "table and word", and the only thing in the center is the celebrant's chair, which was located in the nave in St. Andrew's case. Other changes include the removal of much of the statuary, the railing, pulpit, and the introduction of red carpet.
Despite the alterations, St. Andrew's was still easily restorable following the initial renovation. This was not to last however, as another renovation took place sometime after the late 1980s. This 2nd phase was eerily similar to the renovations at Our Lady of the Visitation in Bay City. The altar was moved to the center of the nave, pews were removed in favor of chairs, and the apse and choir loft were walled off. This is how St. Andrew remained until its closing in 2014, merging with St. Helen church to form Christ the Good Shepherd Parish. It was briefly reopened to host masses for the cathedral parish while St. Mary's underwent renovations, but currently the building is unused and has presumably been sold off.
In what is now a parking lot, the old St. Joseph church once stood. The parish was founded in 1872, and the first structure was quickly constructed. This church was in use until 1919, when a larger building was dedicated to serve the growing number of families.
The 2nd St. Joseph changed relatively little over its lifespan prior to the 60s. It was notable for the large number of Hispanic parishioners, who eventually grew to outnumber the original Irish. It was one of the first churches in the area to install a shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
The church underwent multiple renovations in the later half of the century, with most of the original furnishings being removed. A new altar and sanctuary platform were installed in 1987, and were in use until the church was demolished in 2003. A new modern structure was built on the site of the former rectory, and bears little resemblance to the old church. The new sanctuary is particularly odd for being in the center of the church, and on the same floor level as the nave. Most of the stained glass windows from 1919, which had been among the few things to survive the renovations, were auctioned off.
Cathedral of Mary of the Assumption
The cathedral is another parish that began very early in what would become the Saginaw diocese. It was founded in the early 1850s, with the first church finally being constructed in 1863. This church would be in use for forty years, with transepts and other additions being made over time. Despite its small size, the first St. Mary church was beautifully decorated, with three gothic altars and artwork painted above the altar. It was moved across the street while the current structure was being built, and eventually demolished.
Despite having been gone for over a century, there are still pieces of the old church that can be seen today. The original stained glass windows that may date back to 1863 still exist, residing in the former St. John the Baptist church in Carrollton. St. John's was destroyed by fire in 1913, and the old windows were donated to be installed in the rebuilt church. Despite their immense value as part of local Catholic history, they were not removed when the church was sold to a protestant congregation in 2015. St. John's is now known as "Newer Dimensions Fellowship".
The current St. Mary's was built in 1903, and went on to be designated as the cathedral in 1938, with the founding of the Saginaw diocese. It is said that Bishop William Murphy chose the building for its beauty. For roughly the first four decades, the church interior was somewhat simple. The three altars from the old church were reused.
In order to make the church more cathedral-like, Bishop Murphy initiated a massive renovation in 1941, with the help of the rector, Msgr. Felix Vogt. Elaborate stenciling and murals were painted, along with new lighting, an extended sanctuary rail, a new pulpit, and tiled flooring. New stone altars with wood carved reredos were also installed. It was during this time that St. Mary's began to offer daily sung masses, with the help of a student choir. The church went relatively unchanged from this state until 1967, when the sanctuary was carpeted, along with new pews and flooring. St. Mary's was also unique in that it hosted a ceremony that might have only occurred once in the history of the diocese, the consecration of a bishop. Msgr. James Hickey was consecrated as an auxiliary bishop to aging Bishop Woznicki that same year. He would later go on to become Cardinal Archbishop of Washington DC.
Yet another renovation took place in 1978, completely overhauling the layout of the sanctuary. The entire church was painted white and carpeted, pews were replaced by chairs, the choir was moved to the former sanctuary, and the altar was moved to the center of the nave. Practically everything except for the windows that was original or dating to the 1941 renovation was removed. This is how the church appeared for nearly 40 years, until a significant restoration in 2017.
Today, the cathedral is widely acclaimed for its beauty. The restoration returned the church to a far more traditional layout, with a marble altar and floor, central tabernacle with reredos, pews with kneelers, and the original stations of the cross. While other parishes nearby are concerned with survival, it is safe to assume that St. Mary's isn't going anywhere. It hosts daily Mass and remains the seat of the diocese.
Sts. Simon and Jude
No comments:
Post a Comment